LPCI School Council
24 Attendees: M. Schummer, I. Kovalev, S. Kopyto, G. Wyett, LKA Gray, Vicky Branco, Lillian Jovanovic, Ruth Kelly, E. Boone, L Hanson, Daina Kahins, S. Layton, J. Jaffary, J. Sole, D. Burgeron, S. Paetkau, M. Abbey, N. Abbey, Z. DaCosta, J. Wilber, J. Bai, V. Becic, J. Hugate
Agenda Approval from Sept 26th Meeting– Gillian, Second Lisa
Student Council Update – Maya and Jenna
- Charity Week– Raised money for Maddie Project and had an assembly
- LPAC – Student teacher dodge ball game and raised money
- Have home form reps, 36 of the home form reps participated (of 40)
- Made second highest amount for Charity week than they’ve ever had
- Buddy parent day
- Football gamelast week – had 3 full buses to take students to the game. Parents that where on the team in 1986 also showed up. LPCI beat Northern. First time in 35 years that LPCI played in the finals.
- Raised money for aboriginal group. Wrapped up last week. Winning class of raising money won a 6 foot sub, it was a grade 9 class that won
- Deca = business competition. Sports management/other and half of the kids that participated made it to provincials.
- Volunteer club– Students can get involved at John Ross and tutor and get volunteer hours
- Me to We– Change for Change coming up. Going to all form classes and asking for change. Change will go to a school in Africa and supply one student with full education.
- Winter Musicale– Dec 15th – Directed by Mr. Brown. All music ensembles. Special guest – violinist that used to go to the school.
- Speech Assembly– Take kids that have the best speaches (3 per grade) and pefrom in front of whole school and they win a scholarship/bonus. And for second half have to do impromptu speech.
- Intermurals coming up– chance to make own sports team. Bball just finished. Hockey starting soon.
- Basketball – will now have junior boys team, but will just play exhibition games
- Senior BBall – Doing well
- Ski team – do dryland training
- Curling team – doing well.
- Toy drive coming upat the school for Christmas. Gives toys for teenagers. Trying to drive awareness raised.
- Equity committee startedat the school. Went to leadership conference, and learned about different phobias and how to share at the school.
- Matchmakers– coming up on February around Valentine’s day. Fill out survey and come up with people that have similar interests to you.
Erika Boone and Michele Co-Chair Update
- Erika’s first official meeting as co-chair
- Teacher appreciation breakfast – coming up before the holidays
- Request $250 to buy the food and won’t be looking for a lot of volunteers.
- Mitch Abby passed, Jennifer Wilmer Second
- $7500 to date raised.
- Seems low to date for school.
- Expect money to be transferred from other fund from previous year. So closer to $12,000
- Michele and Erika have met with Lillian to understand how to use the funds.
- Lillian has met with assistant curriculum leaders and figure out where biggest gaps are and where we can make the biggest contribution.
- Expect to go into the classrooms.
- Next meeting will share where the funds are going towards.
Principal Update – Lillian
- Rememberance day, Congrats to drama students that did a great job
- 94 year old previous student
- Model UN participation
- Leadership camp – students going then come back and teach
- Student council have to attend at least 3 workshops
- Kevin Lau looks after who gos
- Organization Police meeting – Staff seargent suggested to come and talk to parent council.
- He will be here in January
- One more presentation last week Victoria, school psychologist on mental health and awareness with emphasis on anxiety. Need stress reduction for teacher and students and shared with how to deal with it and how to help students, especially before report cards. 2 weeks prior to report cards is high anxiety. Offered to come talk to parents February or March.
- Math competitions going on – Number of them, grade 9 to 12.
- Course proposal – DDT in French and will be on course selection sheet and full year calculus, and grade 12 leadership in French
- Model UN – LPCI is more active this year than prior years. Kevin Lau attended first conference this year and performed. One student got distinction of best candidate which has never happened. UN will be moving to another competition next Friday.
- How to kids join? Club kids can join.
- Winter Musicale – Will include silent auction in drama room. 5:45 starts, and finishes at end of intermission.
Vicky Branco – New Superintendant
- Was Super in former org of East Region 11 and East York. Currently super of half of this ward 8, and other half of ward 6
- Been in education 25 years. 26 and 22 year old boys.
- Leads as a parent first, as if she feels what’s happening she wouldn’t like, she wants to help make it better.
- She’s been a teacher, and principal prior.
- This is a great school. Different rumors out there. There have been a lot of calls recently of issues. She’s been in a number of communities and it’s impressive to see the list of things happening in the school and kudos to the staff and the parents.
- She thinks is really a partnership with the parents. We have a right to be informed. She’s a very transparent leader. She answers whatever she can, or tries to find the answer. If answer is no, she’ll explain why it’s no.
- She’s new to this school as a super and the feeder schools.
- Board Level activity
- In a transition. Dr. Mallow is new Director, and holds webinars. Bright leader, and reorg’d the board to learning centre. We’re leanring centre 1 and network 4. Used to be in North, West, and his goal is to bring resources to schools.
- In past was super intendants, engagement and collaboration. She believes in having voices at the table.
- As a parent she asked tough but fair questions. So she gets it. Her son did get expelled from a school. Brilliant kid, quit university, at 26 grew up and going to law school, but good news path. Path to colleague helped him get the path to be a lawyer.
- She brings it to the table as new Director wants to bring resources closer to the school. Revisit what we’re doing in the classrooms. A lot of anxiety in the classrooms and she thinks it’s important to see what’s going on in the classroom – of who’s learning, who’s not learning and why they aren’t learning. Thinks we need to look deeper at what’s happening at the school.. There will be a huge secondary review in all the schools and paths and boundaries.
- Looking at resources and coaches.
- Vision of Learning is online. It’s a guide they’re all doing. Equity, well being, and within that the competencies. Recommends to download – very hands on learning. Need to empower the kids to love what they’re doing and how to collaborate and problem solve.